Monday, October 24, 2011

Review of Refuge on Crescent Hill


Title:  Refuge on Crescent Hill
Author:  Melanie Dobson

     When I began to read this book, I wasn’t sure I was going to like it.  The first two chapters seemed to me to be slow going.  I kept reading, and soon I was immersed in the story.
     The author has done her historical research about the setting of the story very well.  I enjoyed the dual story lines, running parallel throughout the book and finally converging.  There are multiple themes present in the storyline.  The prodigal child returning home, both physically and spiritually, is present for more than one of the characters.  Characters must deal with their pasts, and how the things done in the past affect the lives of others as well as themselves.  Runaways from the past and present seek shelter from the same source of safety and security.  Grace, compassion, and love are shown to those in need of rescue.  Of course, there is evil present in the story as well.  Justice is served by the bad characters getting what is their due.
     It is so easy to see how God works through these characters for their good, and to bring them into close fellowship with fellow believers.  He also draws them close to Him for an intimate relationship.  Sometimes in our lives it seems not to be so easy to see the good that God does, but if we stand firm in our faith, we will be blessed beyond measure.
     I enjoyed this book, and I will be looking for further books from this author to read.  There is something for just about everyone in this book:  a little romance, mystery, suspense.
Post a Comment