Making Sense When Life Doesn't


Title:  Making Sense When Life Doesn’t
Author:  Cecil Murphey
Pages:  208
Year:  2012
Publisher:  Summerside Press
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988
Before you read any further, ask yourself this question: “What do I hope to find or learn if I read this book?”  Perhaps you just thought the title was interesting.  Maybe before buying it you wanted to see what someone else who had read the book thought about it.  Maybe you’re seeking something, though not quite sure what it is you feel is eluding you, but you’re looking or did the thought cross your mind that the book looked interesting so why not read it?
                Regardless of why you may be interested in this book, I can tell you that it is like a small book with a treasure chest of wisdom.  If you open the treasure chest, you can read about the wisdom the author and other have learned.  Will you apply this wisdom to your life?  My life has taught me that knowledge plus experience equals wisdom.  It is easy to spout what I learn; however, it has more of an impact on my life and others if I live out my life with the truth God has shown me.
                We are told in the Bible that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom”.  Notice it says beginning not ending.  That is the place to start when life just doesn’t make sense.  Start with where you are with God.  Then, use a book like this one, which includes wisdom learned from a “cloud of witnesses” as people have been described in the book of Hebrews.  Real, living, breathing organisms that have gone through what all humans go through on their journey here on earth.  What do we go through this side of heaven?  My guess is that you can make your own list.
                The author writes what he and others have learned through various seasons of their lives and shares the wisdom gained from having gone through an event, not around it.  The chapters are short, from one page to at most three, and are easily digested within a few minutes.  However, if you think about what you read, it might turn out to be a life-altering moment.  We can all learn from the good as well as bad things done in life.  Either we have done them, been recipients of the acts or words or witnessed the good or bad.  As I read this book, I kept visualizing it placed somewhere in the home where others would be able to thumb though it, read a chapter or two, and learn something that encourages them or challenges them.  This is a book you will want to share with others and perhaps reread a chapter for your own benefit sometime down the road.
My rating is 3 stars.
Post a Comment

Popular Posts