Thursday, August 16, 2012

The End


Title:  The End:  A Complete Overview of Bible Prophecy and the End of Days
Author:  Mark Hitchcock
Pages:  528
Year:  2012
Publisher:  Tyndale
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988
How do you tackle such a huge subject as Bible prophecy as well as the End of Days?  When you look at books on these topics or others, where do you begin reading or looking?  What is the final authority as you read and come across a statement of faith that may or may not line up with your own?  As a person made in the image of God, do you have a particular stance about End Times or is your stance based on a particular denominational stance?
                When I was preparing to write this review, these were questions I asked myself too.  The first pages I turned to in this book were the ones at the end, Appendix 2:  Recommended Books for Further Study.  Why start there?  Actually, you can learn a lot about an author by seeing the books, authors, teachers, and studies that are listed by the author.  You can learn if there is a sole approach to the topic or if it includes a variety of sources from various backgrounds and denominations.  Mark Hitchcock does list quite a few and he also helps his readers by putting the sources under topic headings.
                Next, I looked at the Context page.  There I saw where Mark took on a host of topics, breaking them down into 14 parts and each had subtopics underneath.  Before one begins reading his overview, there is a section called Preface, which is really short, one page to be exact.  The next one I had to applaud the author for including before dealing with the many topics he writes about is a section he titles “Introduction: Something We Can All Agree On.”  Here, with humor and honesty, the author shares his heart.  I can say it is one that seeks to bring God glory and definitely not one that seeks to divide the Body of Christ.  Both of these I respect as well as agree with.  There are a few things that are quite clear in Scripture; the rest is open to discussion.
                Were I to write all that is in this volume, I might as well have written the text myself; however, I didn’t and I don’t intend to here.  One of the purposes of writing reviews is to cause us all to love the Lord with our minds as we await His coming.  I can say that in this book, as with all books written other than the Bible, there are topics and conclusions I agree with and others I don’t.  What matters most is that you don’t lift this book higher than the Word of God.  Only the Bible is completely infallible.  It is a book to use as a resource and as a guide as you intentionally study the Word of God.  Remember, it is okay to come to some part of Mark’s book and say “I don’t know”.  Pray about it, leave it with God and while you await His answer keep looking at Him!
I recommend this book with my rating of 4 stars.
               
Post a Comment