Sunday, August 5, 2012

Word Spirt Power


Title:  Word Spirit Power
Authors:  R.T. Kendall, Charles Carrin, Jack Taylor
Pages:  208
Year:  2012
Publisher:  Chosen Books
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988
               
                There is a characteristic I have when I read nonfiction books; I try to read with discernment.  The only infallible and inspired book, I believe, is the Bible.  For me, that is the authority I turn to and stand on when searching for the truth regardless of the topic.  One thing I have learned over the last few years is that our words fail to adequately encompass or describe God, His Word as well as His works.  It is hard for me to describe all He has done for me these last few years, but I know He did a wonderful work in me that I couldn’t have done on my own.
                The authors of this book each share in depth their testimony of what the Lord has been teaching them in regards to the Word of God, the Spirit of God, and the Power of God.  Like all other books trying to share something unexplainable, these authors try to share what they feel they have been shown or experienced firsthand.  With what they wrote, as with all books of this nature, it is best to always go back to the Word of God and search for the truth yourself.
                Some of what these authors wrote, I definitely don’t agree with in regards to how they applied Scripture to explain a point.  However, I took away a nugget or two of truth and for that I am thankful.  One nugget of truth is that when we pray, are we looking to see His face or just His hand?  In other words, do we want Him for who He is or only for what we think we can get?  To me, that is a very humble reminder to pray seeking Him for Who He is more than for what He can give me.
                Any time authors put a formula in their writing, I am cautious to say the least.  God, being infinite, cannot be put in a formula let alone a box.  Plus, He knows how best to teach us a truth and experience Him individually.  If you choose to read this book, read it with discernment and with your Bible close at hand.  At any time, if a question comes across your mind, write it down and explore the Word later in depth for an answer.  If the Lord gives you a nugget of truth, write it in your journal and forget everything else written unless He says otherwise.  Be careful when reading this book, it has some nuggets of truth in it, but other parts I am concerned weren’t accurate.
My rating for the book is 3 stars.
Post a Comment