Cards of Sin






Title:  Cards of Sin
Author:  K. J. Dahlen                                                                                                                        
Pages:  178
Year:  2012
Publisher:  Solstice Publishing
                Normally reading a murder mystery is not my first choice for a book because I can’t usually put it down until I find out “whodunit”.  However, the title of this book is what intrigued me enough to investigate this author and her mystery.  What comes to mind when you read the title?  For me, it was the word “cards” because I love to play Solitaire as well as other card games.  Then, I wondered how the words, cards and sin were going to be tied together.  I wasn’t disappointed from the first sentence which reads, “I murdered a man tonight.”
                Cheyenne is a reporter who writes articles for a newspaper from her home on most days.  However, one day while writing, her instant messenger pops up letting her know that she is receiving a message.  When she opens it, she reads,”I murdered a man tonight”.  From that point on, the suspense begins to builds with clues sprinkled throughout to entice the reader to continue trying their own means of figuring out the end before actually reading it.
                During the various conversations that take place between the murderer and the reporter, the emotions felt by the reporter fluctuate from being a victim to actually not feeling like one.  The police are called in only after Cheyenne discovers the first victim and calls Vincent, her friend, who is a police officer.  Vincent begins to hear the tale of how all this began.  Shortly thereafter the killer ups the ante.  As a result, the FBI is called in and Cheyenne begins to live at the police station until the killer is caught.  It takes a lot of twists and turns with various characters, their stories and locations for the pieces of the puzzle to start falling in place.  How long have the murders with the same MO been occurring?  Where did it all start?
                K. J. Dahlen delivers a smashing story with Cards of Sin.  The reader will enjoy the well-delivered plot and characters.  However, I would like to see authors who are so gifted at telling an excellent story not use foul language at all.  I would love to be able to promote authors whose works of fiction can stand alone without the need for coloring the pages with unnecessary verbiage.  If you read this story, be aware that there are cuss words in it.  No sex scenes or words are used, which is awesome.  So K. J., if your reading this review, know that you have a way of grabbing readers’ attention with your storytelling and don’t need to use foul language at all.  If anything, I think it takes away from your writing.
My rating is 3 stars and would have been higher if not for the foul language.

Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457



Post a Comment

Popular Posts