Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Story




Title:  Story
Author:  Steven James
Pages:  207
Year:  2006
Publisher:  Revell
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988
               
                While I am familiar with Steven James’ fiction and find his fiction books fantastic, I have never read any of his nonfiction work.  Story fills the bill for a success in the nonfiction arena.  The author shares events from his past with humor and emotion.  He also includes some of his original poetry in this effort.  He relates familiar stories from the Bible and tells of God’s everlasting love for us and the things he has done for us to show this love.  He tells of the reason for hope.
                The book is easy to read and the chapters are short.  Steven shares a funny, but poignant story from his childhood in the introduction.  The chapter titles themselves inform the reader what each chapter will focus on.  Each chapter begins with a very short poem and a Scripture reference.  Then, there is an event or experience from Steven’s past or a dramatic view of an account of Scripture.  This is followed by introspection from the author on how Jesus was seen by people his His day or how He is seen today or how we feel about Him.  Steven points to the importance of Jesus from the Garden of Eden to Easter.  The story flows very well, and encourages the reader to take a look at Christ’s story.  At the end of each chapter is an original poem under the heading “touching the unseen”.  I found these poems very thought-provoking, and they caused me to think about myself and how I viewed Jesus.  They are filled with emotions that the reader can easily relate to.
                I really enjoyed the humor included in the book.  It was nice to be able to laugh out loud while reading a nonfiction book!  This is a story for mature believers and new believers as well.  The style is very easy to understand.  Everything is laid out clearly and concisely to avoid confusion.  I recommend this book as Steven James is a wonderful storyteller.  You won’t be disappointed.
My rating is 4 stars.







Post a Comment