More Q & A with Author Timothy Klein


In that little blurb I posted could you explain for me this sentence
"He also employes a slightly unique POV and enjoys mixing in a little of his own brand of theology (some might say heresy). "  I am 1/2 way through the novel and seen Scripture and all that but:
    As for heresy, I guess you haven't gotten to the "surprise" yet.
   
    Regarding the POV, I originally started the book from Mark's POV.  But I soon discovered that Jeni was more interesting and that Sarah was struggling with major issues herself. Thus I shifted to a third person omniscient narrator. But I'm kind of an intrusive smart-aleck narrator. One potential editor was so offended that he quit in disgust.  Of course, he had read three-fourths of the book before he figured this out. I think the real problem had more to due with his drinking style rather than my writing style (seriously!) The other editors were fine with it but pushed me to move part of the story to an appendix.

Along this line, I also found that aviators provide a much different kind of feedback than "normal" readers!  In fact, that's why there is a prologue; the pilots wanted more and more background.  One of the first pilots to read the initial draft said, "It's the best novel I've ever read, but you couldn't really convert a Beech 18 into a bomber." Okay, I may not have quoted him verbatim, but his only concern was the plausibility of actually building the plane. He was shocked to learn that Beech built over 1500 of them during WWII.


 what is your church background
     Mainline protestant with a Baptist emphasis. In fact, we can trace my mother's side back to the reformation.  My family has been getting thrown out of churches for centuries!  Currently attending an E-Free church.

 what is your brand of theology
     I consider myself a "free-will Calvinist". Yeah, it's like being a Kosher pork chop.
 how did you develop your brand of theology
      Stumbling through it and arguing with friends. (Oh, and having people fling the study guide at me in Bible studies.)  Heavily involved with Inter-varsity Christian Fellowship in College; attended a wide variety of churches, including a messianic church and a service or two at a Hebrew temple.
also you didn't say anything about your Dad, in the blurb is there a reason?
    No reason. While my dad is the best speller I've ever known, he's a reader not a writer. He was a Chemistry teacher and influenced me toward the technical world.  He's still amazed that I wrote a book and probably even more amazed that he liked it.
Can you share anything about your Dad?
    My father is retired, still a bachelor (mom passed away 18 years ago this Christmas) and helps with the kid's programs at church.  You'd never guess he's in his seventies. Spends his time growing tomatoes, golfing, and hunting.
Do you and your wife have children or grandchildren?
    We have three kids and are approaching the scariest time in any parent's life: Joe, almost 16, is learning to drive. Erin officially becomes a teenager on Saturday, October 19th, (though she's had the attitude since she was four), and Megan, 11, is right behind her (but takes after me, no attitude problem.)  
Have any of them taken a liking to flying as you do?
    Of course, though Joe has the most interest. Due to idiosyncrasies in FAA regulations and  Colorado Licensing laws, he may be able to solo an airplane before he can drive a car!
Do you belong to any aviator clubs ?
    I'm a member of two: Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) and the Experimental Aircraft Association. Both have awesome websites with everything you'd ever need to know about flying, owning or building an airplane. http://www.aopa.org/index.html     http://eaa.org/

    Trivia question: How much would a used, but in excellent condition, four seat, 120mph, airplane cost? Answer at the end.
What planes do you own, hope to own, would absolutely love to own?
    My first airplane was a 1965 Citabria, (can any of the non-aviators figure out where the name came from?) Then I got married and my wife said, "Let's sell the airplane."   Then she said, "So we can get something bigger and faster."  How do you argue with that? So I said, "Well, if that's what it takes to make this marriage work..."

So we bought a Cessna Cardinal: sleek, four seats, reasonably fast and not too expensive. Then baby number three came along, (you'd think a CPA would know how to read a calendar?)  So we sold the Cardinal and found a six seater to "borrow."  I wanted another fun plane, so I bought another Citabria. 

However, the tandem seating, (the passenger sits behind the pilot), didn't work well with three kids so we sold it. 
Now, I'm letting a friend keep his Cessna 172 in our hangar. I pay for my own gas and I can fly it whenever I want. He pays the rest of the bills.  Again, how do you argue with that?

Of course, I'm hoping to sell enough books to buy my own Ellen Jane (Beech AT-11.)  They're only around $200K, how hard could it be?
Do you show your planes at air shows or just personal pleasure?
    We used to take the first Citabria to airshows and fly-ins. Of course, that was before my wife made me upgrade.

    Answer to trivia question: depends on the details but you can get a really nice plane for $25-35,000; extra nice: $40-50,000.






Twitter:  @timothy_klein

Publish date: 7/9/2012    
Publisher: Stearman Press LLC



Post a Comment

Popular Posts