Monday, October 8, 2012

The Yellow Packard



Title:  The Yellow Packard
Author:  Ace Collins                                                                                                                          
Pages:  320
Year:  2012
Publisher:  Barbour Books
     The Yellow Packard is a well-written mystery with so much more than a “whodunit” foundation.  The timeframe for the story is the 1930’s, ending right as WW II is beginning.  It is a truly captivating story.   Have you heard the phrase “looks can be deceiving”?  Trust me when I say that this work of fiction has this flavor from the first word until the last.  In fact, as hard as it was, I had to stop reading with less than 100 pages to go because it was 5am and I had been up all night reading!  Normally that would be fine with me, but being under the weather I forced myself to put the book down so I could get some sleep.  I was glad I went to sleep, but the first thought I had when I woke up and after some things were done was, “Okay Ace let’s get to the end!”  I was not disappointed.  When I put the book down, I was amazed at the gift for weaving a masterpiece that Ace Collins shows in this novel.
     We start with an eccentric elderly lady who had no children, but loves her niece and nephew.  She had been married and built up a collection of books and memories from her earlier years of life.  Abbi had been all over the world and reflected on the multiple events she witnessed firsthand.  Abbi knows she is dying, though up to that moment she has had perfect health.  When a man she knows ransacks her home, she is unable to stop him.  When her niece, Janet, comes for the funeral, it is with a questioning and sad heart that she has to go through her aunt’s things to prepare for an auction.  You see, Abbi wanted the stuff she treasured to be sold or auctioned off so others could enjoy them and have the money go to charity.  Everything is going well…almost.
     Then, a man who has just become a new father needs a car.  He comes to the auction and estate sale, dreaming he can own the one piece he is sure he will never own, the yellow Packard.  George has heard all sorts of rumors about the car, and how it is cursed, but he needs a working car.  He starts to walk away, but the further he goes, the more he knows he has to go back and try to get that car for his wife and new daughter, Rose.
     The Packard travels through many owners, and with each owner something occurs in their lives.  Some see the car as a blessing and others as a curse.  Rose is kidnapped at a young age.  The only lead the agents have is that eventually the abductors say they want $5000.  After giving some confusing but very exact directions for the drop off of the ransom, when all is thought to be okay was Rose is returned, it seems worse for not only had the abductors taken the money, not returned Rose, they took the Packard too.
     The characters are a variety from everyday people to the White House with scenes from all over The United States of America.  From housewife, to FBI agent, florist to factory workers, each has somehow been tied together because of this one car.  There is greed, kidnapping, murder, as well as solving the multitude of crimes with an added bonus.  If I were to tell you the added bonus or more about the book, it would ruin it for you.  Since my goal is to share with you enough to whet your appetite to read it, I hope I have succeeded in doing just that.  This novel has a multi-layered plot from a Class A writer with storytelling at its finest that should grab your attention.  I know it did mine!
     My rating is 4 ½ stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment