Friday, January 25, 2013

Miss Marple: Christian Sleuth



Title:  Miss Marple:  Christian Sleuth
Author:  Isabel Anders
Pages:  112
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Circle Books

                I thought the title of this short book very appealing as I have read all of the Miss Marple books and find her quite entertaining.  I had never thought of her as a Christian or living out the Christian life in all she did.  So with anticipation I began reading this author’s take on seeing Christ in Miss Marple.
                The author begins with an introduction to the book, which is very interesting and I thought built up the book nicely.  She does bring up a few interesting comparisons and viewpoints about this subject, but the over use of quotes was very distracting.  The book would have been far shorter without the use of so many quotes.  I was interested in what the author thought of Miss Marple as a Christian and what the author thought about Miss Marple’s life due to her Christian beliefs, but I kept reading quotes about what others thought about her as showing Christ-like qualities or what others think about Jesus or some about how to live a good life.  There were just too many.  Some quotes are from the Bible as well as from the Miss Marple stories, which if fine.
                Each chapter ends with questions for discussion or personal introspection that are good questions to think about.  Some of these would have been great material to include in the text of the book with supporting evidence in the answers.  I hope the author, if she tries this type of book again, will reduce the quotes and increase material of substance.
                My rating is 2.5 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment