Friday, February 1, 2013

The Sanctuary



Title:  The Sanctuary
Author:  Ted Dekker
Pages:  416
Year:  2012
Publisher:  Center Street
                I had seen the cover of this book many times when looking at books online or while shopping at stores.  The more I ran across the novel, The Sanctuary, with the cover depicting bolted iron doors, the more I knew I just had to open the book.  Over the course of reading many different novels and authors, with each one uniquely gifted to tell a story, this author has become a favorite of mine.  There are probably some who don’t care for this author or his books.  Yet, one aspect of his writing that seems to glow above all others is the way he writes about God and mankind in a story that keeps the reader turning pages long into the night.  I can’t reveal too much in the way of themes as they play an integral role in the plot and might give away the ending.  What I can tell you is the depth of the story and that what a reader can learn from it is deep, maybe even thought provoking.
We are introduced to the penal system in the state of California.  The name of the place is Basal and only certain men inhabit the place.  In fact, to live there is by invitation only or is it by design?  The warden has his own version of bringing about change within a man.  In fact, his mission is to break their spirits.  The prison is shaped like a cross with each wing having its’ own purpose.  No one may say or do anything without the warden’s permission.  The inmates sign a paper giving over…
Two people long for love, yet each has secrets that have imprisoned them.  They work hard to forget the past and to change.  Renee looks at Daniel with love because without him she feels life isn’t worth living.  Daniel has a history of heartache, trauma, and violence; however, he now refuses to be violent. 
       The Sanctuary is another wonderful masterpiece that draws the reader into the story and before long time is spent lost in the mystery.  Surrounding the characters is a world all unto itself, separate from reality.  Yet, someone is pulling strings to organize people into a situation that looks deadly.
It is hard to write a review without giving away too much.  I have read many of Ted Dekker’s books over time, so many, in fact, I have lost count.  The only thing I can say is I am never disappointed when I read his stories.  Get a copy of the novel, a Coke, a snack and a blanket before you start this one because you won’t want to stop reading even for a minute!  I read The Sanctuary in a short amount of time and experienced the joy of being able to read another fantastic and thought-provoking tale by Ted Dekker.
       My rating is 5+ stars.        
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment