Review of "The Survivor"



Title:  The Survivor
Author:  DiAnn Mills
Pages:  384
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Zondervan
                The Survivor is the second novel of The Crime Scene:  Houston Series and it was an awfully tense and inspiring story.  The Chase is the groundwork for the series.  While I hadn’t read the first story, it wasn’t hard to become enraptured with the characters, the multitude of themes as well as the suspense that comes from reading a crime-fighting novel.  After I read the last page, I then read a special note from the author to the readers regarding the contents, but I won’t ruin it for you by revealing what DiAnn Mills wrote.
                Basically, the biggest and most difficult theme the author has Tigo, an FBI agent, wrestle with is how evil things happen if God is real and good.  The support, honesty and prayers from some of his coworkers who believe in God as well as Kariss, his ex-girlfriend, cause him to begin to understand with eyes of faith instead of his cynical questioning mind.  Kariss used to work as a news reporter before becoming a successful writer of fiction.  Now someone has contacted her to write her story in the form of a novel though what the reason for doing so isn’t forthcoming from the doctor who has asked her to take on the project.  On top of this, a prominent family becomes victims of a brutal crime when a car bomb goes off right outside the gate of their estate.  Questions are mounting and answers are evasive as each new lead the FBI receives continually leads to a dead end.
                With suspense mounting as each page turned, I couldn’t wait to see how this one was going to come to completion!  There were a few times I thought I knew who the suspect was, and then the author brilliantly throws a curve into the plot that threw me off.  There is so much more to the story that includes Tigo’s partner having to decide with his wife if they can care for his mother in-law’s last few months of life in their home.  This particular sacrifice and decision was easy for me to connect too as our family had done that in the last couple of years.
                Another aspect I enjoyed in the story is how the Lord is portrayed as the One who seeks us out not the other way around.  DiAnn had her characters ask hard questions about God, prayer and faith while walking through their daily lives; it makes the tale more lifelike to readers.  Whether someone is or has been a fan of DiAnn’s novels prior to this or not, I believe this one will catch the attention of new followers.
                The weaving together of many aspects to solve a particular crime was interesting.  When one sister with her newborn was endangered because of Kariss’ choice to write the novel despite threats, it was quite refreshing to read how the relationship handled the threat.  Relationships of all types are best handled when wisdom is not only prayed for, but sought in and from the Word of God.  There is so much for readers to enjoy and gain entertainment from this published work of fiction.  I have ordered myself a copy of the first book in this series so I can read it and enjoy it while I wait in anticipation for perhaps the author to write another story in this series.
                My rating is 5 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
1 comment

Popular Posts