Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The One Good Thing



Title:  The One Good Thing
Author:  Kevin Alan Milne
Pages:  384
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Center Street
                Wow!  This novel is going to take your heart on a journey all over the emotional spectrum.  One thing I want to make anyone grieving aware of is this might be hard to read at this point in time, at least it was for me.  If I weren’t reading it to review, I would have placed it back on my many bookshelves to read sometime in the future.  Now that I have read from cover to cover, I can say that it is a well-built, modern-day parable in my view.
                The Bible is what came to mind many times as I read this novel because of how God didn’t leave negative events, lives or people out of His Word.  The One Good Thing is the same in that it doesn’t withhold the pain or consequences of life and choices made by people.  Just remember that in no way am I saying this book and The Bible are equal; they aren’t!  The Bible is God-breathed as well as not fictional in anyway, and this book is a work of fiction and not God-breathed.
                With that being said, The One Good Thing is a tale that teaches, whether the author meant to or not, many lessons.  The other thought is that the novel does make the readers think, perhaps even evaluate their life as a whole.  The novel starts with a husband not telling something to his wife, and then the reader is thrown into a tragedy for these two people.  As a result, the whole family and community are reeling with shock.  Then, someone starts a FaceBook page where many post how one life made a difference to theirs.
                Along with the thread of tragedy, themes include forgiveness, love, choices, evil actions and more.  As I write this review, I am wondering what specific aspect to share with you without spoiling it for anyone who desires to read it.  Perhaps one of the best parts of the story I can share is how a young man in his his youth determines not to let a day go by without doing something kind for another.  Once he makes the decision, he then uses seven rocks to remind himself to focus on others around him, one at a time.  He doesn’t do it to be noticed or for any other reason than he became aware of how unaware he was of those living around him.
                There is something for all to take away from the book and at the very least contemplate as to the possibility that they may need to make a change in how they are living each day.  Let’s face it; we can all gripe about anything and everything from football to politics.  Does that change us or help anyone?  Most likely not, but change for the better can take place when others are the daily focus before self.  Like the Bible tells us, give yourself first to God and then to others.
                My rating for the book is 4 ½ stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment