Home Run (The Novel) by Travis Thrasher




Title:  Home Run
Author:  Travis Thrasher
Pages:  416
Year:  2013
Publisher:  David C. Cook
                In anticipation for the movie by this same title, coming out April 19, 2013, I wanted to read the novel first, but not because the book was released before the movie.  It’s unusual, but this time the novel came from the screenplay and I’m sure there will be differences, not necessarily bad though.  I find that when people read the books, there is an expectation that the movie will follow the author’s writings carefully if not to a “tee”.  Too often people leave the theatre somewhat disappointed or confused about the differences.  Yet, I find that nothing on the screen can come close to the wonderful world of the mind or the gift of imagination when reading a book. 
                Home Run is a story about a young man who made mistakes on his way to fame in the baseball league.  These mistakes are the results of the abuse he suffered from the hands of an alcoholic father, but that is not all.  Cory chooses to believe lies spoken to him about what he isn’t as a man or can’t accomplish.  Now, he has been suspended from the league because of an incident that is the climatic result of not facing what is within his own heart.  Like reality, it is mirrored in this work of fiction that the choices made by one are felt by many.  I have heard it said that “no man is an island” and pain has a way of showing the ugliness that can come to a life lived in denial.  As a way of trying to reclaim his former fame, Cory follows the road map laid out before him in order to have any hope of returning to the major leagues.  At the end of the road map, Cory has some choices to make and has to learn how to handle crushing disappointments.
                However, Cory isn’t the only character who has a past that affects the present; there are others.  Yet something causes these people to make the effort to walk the long road to recovery, a road they know they will be on for the rest of their lives this side of heaven.  As I started this novel, one thing I liked was the use of flashback as the story begins to unfold to the reader.  Another aspect is how the tale shows us how long and sometimes hard the road is to becoming a new creature in Christ and not walking the road alone.  Sometimes when I have read novels they have the typical storybook ending without revealing the road taken to get there that is filled with rough and uneven spots.  I won’t say that the story ends with a happily ever after nor will I share that it doesn’t.  One thing it does do is show that there is always a God drawing, loving and embracing a prodigal child who returns to His arms.
                I hope to see the movie soon just to enjoy the movie for the work of art and compelling truths I hope it conveys to a lost and hurting world.  Come to think of it, I may even write a review of the movie to share the thoughts I have when I view it on the big screen.
                My rating is 5 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts