Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The 13th Tribe





Title:  The 13th Tribe (An Immortals Files Novel)
Author:  Robert Liparulo
Pages:  416
Year:  2012
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
                Riveting!  A page turner with quite an adrenaline rush!  I bought this last year because the title caught my attention, though I had no idea what the novel was about.  By the front cover, I thought maybe it would be something akin to science fiction or like a Frank Peretti novel.  What I didn’t expect was a tale that has so many elements of different genres I wonder how the cataloging personnel ever settled on Christian suspense.  Trust me; it has suspense along with mysteries, archeology, history, science, military, Old Testament plus love.
                I am not sure exactly what to share as I don’t want to spoil the reader’s excitement by giving away too much about a story that has so many twists and turns.  There is an ex-military man who is working security for a monastery after an accident forever changed his life.  Jagger’s physical life isn’t the only change that occurs, but his spiritual life also.  His wife, Beth, loves him, understands him well and prays for him while waiting for healing to come.  Tyler, their son, brings smiles and joy to Jagger’s life in ways he can’t ever explain, but never wants to live without.  Now, a group of people known as the 13th Tribe have begun to arrange devastation that would make a nuclear explosion look like child’s play.  Some tend to have much longer lives than others, but to find out which characters that might be you have to read the book.  What would you do if someone you loved could out live you by a long time?  Would you distance yourself from them or live the rest of your time, enjoying life with them?
                Encased in this story is action that takes them across the globe on a journey to initiate their destruction with a couple of people trying very hard to thwart their plans.  The looks from the Tribes faces seem surreal; their bodies heal quickly unless mortally wounded in one way only.  Trying hard to earn God’s favor and no longer be separated from Him is why they do what they do, but they cannot grasp grace.  When Owen begins to share things with Jag, the man has to make a choice to help Owen or not.  What is it that turns the decision one way or the other for Jag?  Who is this Owen character?
                You will not want to pass up this fascinating novel and its sequel, The Judgment Stone, which I will share in an upcoming review.  Either way, the chapters are short and the heart thumping adventure is beyond description!  Never have I read something of this nature that includes so many different woven together to keep the reader glued till the very last word, and what a word it is!  It has an ending I never saw coming, and I can’t wait to dive into the sequel!
                My rating for this is 5 stars.
Note:   The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment