Thursday, July 18, 2013

Never Let Go


Title:  Never Let Go
Author:  Mac & Mary Owen with Travis Thrasher
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Lucas Lane Publisher
Note:  I received a recommendation to read this book from www.bookfun.org
When I first looked at the cover of the book, I thought, “There is really no reason for me to read this nonfiction work”.  Then, the title grabbed my attention and I thought, “Well I am learning to Never Let Go of God because He is the reason for me being who I am today”.  Sometimes a question and/or a phone call can change our plans whether it is for the day, week, month or even longer.  Here is a book that I found interesting, encouraging, and filled with hope.  While it is true that many things the couple share in their testimony never have happened to me, it is equally true that I need Him every day.
Mac and Mary Owen openly share their lives over the last 40 years:  The good, the bad and the ugly.  The chapters switch between Mac sharing and then Mary telling about life from her perspective.  Mac wasn’t a Christian, though he was a very talented wood worker and passionate about Mary.  Unfortunately, he also got hooked on very serious drugs.  Mary decided to stop parting her days and throw her energies into raising her daughters.
The interesting part is how God not just saved them, but how He changed them.  How He worked to bring all their children together again.  Reading about how one man loved his wife for 57 years and the whole time she had a mental illness that back then didn’t have a name or a way of treating it and how God sure used that man was inspiring.  It isn’t a hard book to read or very long, but it will touch as well as tug at your heart.  For a long time, this couple did Bible studies and opened their home to help others learn to overcome their addictions.  Mac and Mary Owens’ life laid out before us is a call to “be” the servants of Jesus anytime, anywhere, in whatever way God leads.
I am so thankful to Fred at The Book Club Network for sharing how this book touched him and his encouragement to read it.  I am glad I did, and I hope you will take the time to read it too with an open heart to hear what God may speak to you.  These are real people who lived their lives with their scars that they share in the hopes that others will find their hope and need in Jesus Christ.  In the process, learn about a ministry, Celebrate Recovery, which is part of the testimony of the Owen family.
Travis Thrasher writes this story that the Owens swore no one would ever know about as their lives for so long were all about secrets.  Now, as they have grown in their walk with the Lord, they open up and allow Travis to put their story to print in order to help others.  Enjoy!
My rating is 5 stars.
The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457

Post a Comment