A Question of Honor









Title:  A Question of Honor (A Bess Crawford Mystery)
Author:  Charles Todd
Pages:  309
Year:  2013
Publisher:  William Morrow
As I’ve stated before in my reviews, I’m a fan of British mysteries.  Having never read any of Charles Todd’s books, I decided to give one a try.  This is the first book in this series that I’ve read and it won’t be the last.  It is set in Britain and France in 1918 during the end of World War I and during the influenza epidemic.  There is a prologue set in India 10 years prior.
The main character, Bess Crawford, is serving as a nurse near the front line of the war.  She comes to the aid of a dying Indian soldier and he tells her he has seen an alleged murderer from both of their pasts, serving on the front lines for Britain.  Bess doubts the veracity of this claim, but soon catches a glimpse of the same man.  Is it really him?  Well, she gets confirmation that it is indeed the man all thought was dead when she spots him again.  What is he doing serving in the war?  Where has he been?  How did he escape India?  More importantly, why did he kill his parents?
Bess and her friend Simon set off to investigate and soon discover there were more murders at the same time as Lieutenant Wade was in Britain.  They can hardly believe he murdered five people.  He just didn’t seem the type.  Were they and everyone else so wrong about this man?  If he didn’t kill these people, who did?  As their investigation progresses, more and more information is uncovered that muddies the water so to speak.  It is still possible that the lieutenant committed the murders, but it can also be argued that one of the other residents at the home where child abuse was taking place could have committed murder as well.
I really like the relationship Bess shares with her parents, especially her mother.  Her mother is one smart cookie and Bess has inherited her inquisitive mind from her mother.  I knew very little about World War I before reading this book, but I learned something about the nursing profession during this time period as well as other historical information about this era.  I enjoy learning new things and thoroughly enjoyed this mystery.  It is well-written and descriptive.  There is great research and detail included that enriches the story.  I would recommend this book to mystery lovers.
My rating is 4 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts