Thursday, August 8, 2013

Burning Sky by Lori Benton



Title:  Burning Sky
Author:  Lori Benton
Pages:  400
Year:  2013
Publisher:  WaterBrook Press
                When I first laid eyes on the cover of the novel, it was interesting to say the least.  However, when I read the summary I will admit my interest was piqued.  Then, as the story began to unfold, I was literally reading to savor the rich tasting flavor with each page turned!  I was just reclining, drinking ice tea and enraptured with the setting, characters and plot I could pull away from the page.  The author’s debut novel paints the scenes so vividly the reader will swear they are actually witnessing the action.
                The setting is in the wilderness of colonial New York when our nation was still attempting to be independent.  One young woman born from German immigrants living out in the wilderness is captured and becomes adopted by a clan of the Mohawks.  Her name is changed from Willa to Burning Sky.  She is to no longer remember she is white or speak English.  Now, lost to her one family, she knows she has a new one.  However, later down the road, she experiences a loss of which she believes she will never recover.  In an attempt to protect her heart, she builds wall around it never wanting to love and lose again.
                Willa returns to the land where she was raised.  During the journey, she comes across a man who is injured near her land marker.  Neil turns out to not be as severely injured as first thought, but as time passes he comes to realize he has suffered the loss of the one ability he cherished most.  With the war coming to an end, anyone thought to be loyal to the crown had their land forfeited.  Without any knowledge of how to prove her parents loyalty to their new land, Willa stands to lose everything she owns.  On top of that, she now has two orphans brought to her door by her Mohawk brother Joseph.  How are Willa’s attempts to stay disengaged to protect her heart going to become her reality?
                Believe me when I say this novel is epic!  Full of emotion, adventure, history and more that will draw you away for a while from reality to enjoy it.  The book is rich, enchanting and abundant really beyond my ability to adequately express.  As I read, I just kept thinking how awesome this debut novel is, thrilling my heart more with each twist of the storyline.  In all seriousness, I feel like I have discovered an author whose writing will capture readers’ hearts and minds for years to come!
                My rating is 5+ stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment