Friday, August 30, 2013

Harriet Beamer Strikes Gold








Title:  Harriet Beamer Strikes Gold
Author:  Joyce Magnin             (http://joycemagnin.blogspot.com/)
Pages:  320
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Zondervan
Reading this novel, which is the second in a series, was absolutely delightful!  The first novel Harriet Beamer takes the Bus, which I haven’t read yet, starts the Harriet Beamer series written by a very talented author.  Joyce Magnin has written other adult novels as well as those for middle grades children according to her website.  She also does editing, speaking and teaching in addition to raising her son, Adam, who is still at home.  You can visit her site to learn about her various novels published and about herself as she shares in a way that is sure to make you laugh.
In Harriet Beamer Strikes Gold, I was introduced to a lively widowed senior citizen character that collects salt and pepper shakers and has recently moved in with her son and his wife.  She has had to leave behind her best friend, pack up her stuff and move to a place where everyone is a stranger to her.  She has a wonderful sense of humor, faith, and longs for adventure every day.  While realizing she is older, she can’t think about getting old as it brings her down.  Instead, she looks for ways to do new things and one day hopes to become a grandmother.
As Harriet learns about the history of where she is now living, her interest in gold mines peaks.  From here on out, Harriet is on one adventure after another while learning to change and adapt to her new environment while making friends.  When her best friend, Martha, comes to join her for a couple weeks, the two of them discover even more. 
I liked that I could laugh at what this character Harriet said and did.  While I am not in this particular season of life, I couldn’t help but envision myself being like her when I get there.  Harriet didn’t want to focus on growing old or letting moss grow under her feet just waiting for her time.  Nope!  The character seeks life, adventure, God’s hand, and all the while with her Basset Hound, Humphrey, in tow who likes warm glazed donuts to eat.  Harriet is created to show us how no matter what age we are there are new lessons to learn, people to know and places to see.  I guess I want to be like Harriet Beamer “when I grow up” is what I am saying.  When you read the book, I hope you catch the sense of living every day to its fullest.
My rating is 5+ stars.  Oh, I am buying the first novel to read as soon as this review is written J!
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment