Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Every Waking Moment by Chris Fabry











Title:  Every Waking Moment
Author:  Christ Fabry
Pages:  400
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Tyndale
 Mesmerizing!  Here is a novel that contains a very unique tale that unfolds like the best of mysteries compiled with human emotions.  As I started the novel, I could sense that it would be one I wouldn’t soon forget.  The characters are depicted as if lifted from real people, news headlines and stories shared through various mediums.  Trehea is the main female character who has a condition that isn’t explained, diagnosed or understood even by those who watch her as she interacts with those living at Desert Gardens.  However, Trehea is loved and valued for the way she can draw out people who through dementia and living long lives began to retreat within themselves.
Devin, along with his friend Jonah, begins to come to the assisted living facilities to tape the stories of those people who are cared for by the staff.  For him, it started with his grandfather being there and from that moment something grabbed Devin’s heart.  As Devin began taping stories various folks shared, a vision began to form and led to the business he is now starting.  Even though his income is nil, he knows the value of the work and it exceeds any payment he might gain.
From the beginning of the page until the last word written, the reader will be immersed into a multi-layered mystery that weaves many threads together.  When the last stitch is in place, the audience will be touched in their heart as they stare at the final work of art.  Chris Fabry shares with us a work of art that will be remembered by each reader for what he or she can glean for themselves.  It will tug at the heart of many people from all walks of life because of the various backgrounds we all bring to a book when we open it to start on a journey of discovery.
In the novel, one character decides to risk change in her life by learning to listen to the story of a neighbor who has recently experienced grief.  As depicted, Miriam knows she doesn’t hold the answers, but simply being there and not shying away from the situation and emotions touches that family.  As I thought of that scene in the novel, I marveled at how accurately portrayed it is between the covers of the book.  I was reminded we are all made special because of Who resides within us if we are His followers.  Sometimes the best gift we can give to another is simply being there.
There are many themes encapsulated in Every Waking Moment.  For me, one of them is the faith that can anchor us until we go to be with the Lord.  As I was reading, I could empathize with some of the characters because of my life experiences, some of which have been very recent.  Plus, when I enjoyed the privilege of caring for my aging in-laws, treating them with love, respect and dignity was very important to them as well as my whole family.
Read Every Waking Moment, then give a copy to a friend to enjoy too!
My rating is 5+ stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment