A Plain Death

Title:  A Plain Death (Appleseed Mystery Book #1)
Author:  Amanda Flower
Pages:  336
Year:  2012
Publisher:  B & H Books
A Plain Death is the first novel in a series that tells the story of a city woman who accepts a computer director position at an Amish college.  Chloe is well educated, living in Ohio while her extended family lives on the West coast.  Eventually, as readers quickly progress through the story, the author reveals something in Chloe’s past that affects her present situation in Ohio.
Becky is a young woman that Chloe picks up from the side of the road to save her from two men who are bullying her about being Amish.  Her older brother, Timothy, has already left the church and is working in carpentry, making a living, having found the truth about what forgiveness really means.  Now, one choice begins to change the lives of these three main characters and reveals something lurking in the shadows.  What or who is lurking in the shadows that might just bring down a local community?  Why is there a death?
There are a couple of antagonists in the novel who just seem to have the attention of the local policewoman, but are never behind bars.  Is there someone that is directing their actions, or is there someone who works with Chloe or Becky that has a grip with them?  All that can be seen above ground on the fields of farmers is ruined crops, tire tracks and something that shimmers when the sun is bright.
I found Amanda Flower’s novel easy to read as well as captivating.  Being able to sit down and enjoy the sense of mystery, romance and faith was refreshing.  Before I knew it hours had passed, people had come and gone in the house to go to work, and there I was with my nose in the book.  Here is another example of a writer able to put together a tale that includes Amish characters and their lives without losing the interest of the audience.
Now, I am off to read the second novel in the series, A Plain Scandal, which I suspect takes the characters from the first novel through more adventures, but that is just my guess.  So take a few hours, sit down with A Plain Death, enjoy it and then perhaps share the story with a couple of friends or family members.  You never know just who might enjoy a good novel!
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457

Post a Comment

Popular Posts