Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Plain Scandal








Title:  A Plain Scandal (Appleseed Creek Mystery #2)
Author:  Amanda Flower
Pages:  336
Year:  2013
Publisher:  B & H Books
I really continued to enjoy the developing characters in this novel that started in A Plain Death.  The romance continues to slowly bloom between Chloe, who is a city girl, and Timothy, a former Amish participant.  Chloe came to the small town in Ohio to be the director of the computer systems department at a local college.  Since moving there, Chloe has had more adventure in a short period of time than ever before!  On top of that, the new Bishop and Deacon of the community continue to lay the towns’ or personal emergencies at her feet.
It seems the biology professor at the same college where Chloe works is the new owner of the rental home Chloe is living in with Timothy’s sister.  Two delinquents who had been in prison are back out and have returned to the area.  Shortly before the local holidays begin a murder happens and somehow Chloe is once again bent on figuring out who the culprit is.  While she seems to be in the middle of a budding romance, Chloe also happens to be finding out more about how the local Amish families live.  The trouble really begins to brew as her English ways heighten the tension between Amish characters, leaders and the community though not quite everyone is afraid to do what is right even if the Deacon has been dispensing a heavy hand of discipline.
As I was reading, I knew a mystery was afoot, but what I didn’t see were the threads that tied it all together at the conclusion.  There were surprises, twists and turns in the story line that kept my glued to the book till late at night.  I am glad I read the whole thing…what an adventure!  Slowly, the author begins to reveal other parts of the backgrounds and personalities of the community where Chloe lives.  What was fun for me was trying to figure out how and if the newest additions of a few characters were going to throw a kink the story.
One character that still seems to be somewhat of an enigma in both novels is the dean of the college.  He is kind of a pop in and out type of character.  I wonder if the author is going to bring him out more in the next novel in the series, A Plain Disappearance.  Dean Klink is somewhat of a comical character with the way he interacts with others at the college, especially Chloe.  Let me know what you think of the novels and this character once you read them for yourself.  Amanda Flower is truly a wonderful storyteller, which I am glad to add to my personal library.  I hope you discover the same.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment