Flight of Fancy (The Daughter of Bainbridge House #2)








Title:  A Flight of Fancy (The Daughter of Bainbridge House #2)
Author:  Laurie Alice Eakes
Pages:  341
Year:  2012
Publisher:  Revell
This is the second novel in Laurie Alice Eakes The Daughters of Bainbridge House series.  It continues the tale of three sisters and their lives and their loves.  These first two stories are set in the Regency time period in Britain.  There is a third novel in the series titled, A Reluctant Courtship, that I will be reviewing here soon as well.
Geoffrey Whittaker was the second son in the family and was set to enter the service or the church for his vocation when unexpectedly his older brother is killed.  With his father already deceased, in an instant, Geoffrey is now an earl.  With this change in his role comes change in his life, his responsibilities and his future wife’s role.  Geoffrey has always been quiet and sort of bookish, so he immediately was smitten when he met his bluestocking fiancée-to-be, Cassandra Bainbridge.  Geoffrey also is facing a lot of trouble from the Luddites who are rebelling against the aristocracy due to low pay in their eyes.  If Geoffrey’s weaving mill is destroyed, he has no means to support himself, his family and all the tenant families that depend on him.
Cassandra has a love of books, physics and aeronautics, as well as languages.  She reads a lot, studies a lot and develops plans of her own design for a hot air balloon.  She longs to soar above the ground, especially after her accident.  She feels she is not good enough for Geoffrey, and he doesn’t approve of her desire to fly.  She believes she is being punished by God for her wanton ways with Geoffrey.  Even though Geoffrey still wants to marry her after the accident that leaves her scarred and scared, Cassandra tries her best to convince Geoffrey to find another wife.
I enjoyed Cassandra’s character very much as I could easily relate to the love of learning, not so much the physics part, but the love of languages and reading.  I admired Geoffrey’s persistence in not giving up on what he wanted; however, I could have done with a little less of the back and forth of his relationship with Cassandra.  I liked that there was some mystery included in the story for added depth and it helped keep me interested.  I like stories set in this time period, and look forward to the third book in the series.  I thought the author did a good job using descriptions to help me picture in my mind’s eye what she was talking about and put myself there.  I’m looking forward to Honore’s, the youngest Bainbridge daughter, story in the third book.  I recommend this light, historical romance.
My rating is 4 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Author:  Laurie Alice Eakes
Pages:  341
Year:  2012
Publisher:  Revell
This is the second novel in Laurie Alice Eakes The Daughters of Bainbridge House series.  It continues the tale of three sisters and their lives and their loves.  These first two stories are set in the Regency time period in Britain.  There is a third novel in the series titled, A Reluctant Courtship, that I will be reviewing here soon as well.
Geoffrey Whittaker was the second son in the family and was set to enter the service or the church for his vocation when unexpectedly his older brother is killed.  With his father already deceased, in an instant, Geoffrey is now an earl.  With this change in his role comes change in his life, his responsibilities and his future wife’s role.  Geoffrey has always been quiet and sort of bookish, so he immediately was smitten when he met his bluestocking fiancée-to-be, Cassandra Bainbridge.  Geoffrey also is facing a lot of trouble from the Luddites who are rebelling against the aristocracy due to low pay in their eyes.  If Geoffrey’s weaving mill is destroyed, he has no means to support himself, his family and all the tenant families that depend on him.
Cassandra has a love of books, physics and aeronautics, as well as languages.  She reads a lot, studies a lot and develops plans of her own design for a hot air balloon.  She longs to soar above the ground, especially after her accident.  She feels she is not good enough for Geoffrey, and he doesn’t approve of her desire to fly.  She believes she is being punished by God for her wanton ways with Geoffrey.  Even though Geoffrey still wants to marry her after the accident that leaves her scarred and scared, Cassandra tries her best to convince Geoffrey to find another wife.
I enjoyed Cassandra’s character very much as I could easily relate to the love of learning, not so much the physics part, but the love of languages and reading.  I admired Geoffrey’s persistence in not giving up on what he wanted; however, I could have done with a little less of the back and forth of his relationship with Cassandra.  I liked that there was some mystery included in the story for added depth and it helped keep me interested.  I like stories set in this time period, and look forward to the third book in the series.  I thought the author did a good job using descriptions to help me picture in my mind’s eye what she was talking about and put myself there.  I’m looking forward to Honore’s, the youngest Bainbridge daughter, story in the third book.  I recommend this light, historical romance.
My rating is 4 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts