Promise to Return








Title:  Promise to Return (Promise of Sunrise)
Author:  Elizabeth Byler Younts
Pages:  320
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Howard Books
Lately one of my least favorite genres has been Amish books because they seem so prevalent or marketed as something other worldly like.  What do I mean?  For instance, one novel I was to review lacked depth, authenticity, and most of all a plot.  Sometimes too the Amish and their lifestyle are highlighted as better than what others live or more along the fantasy type genre.
However, I am so glad to have read Promise to Return for here is an author who was raised and lived the Amish lifestyle.  Through the novel her aim to enlighten readers as to what possibly may have been experienced by some Amish communities during World War II.  Elizabeth Byler Younts writes with more than her knowledge or experience; her heart is clearly present on every page throughout the book.
Here is a story with characters that have depth of heart, emotions and life happenings that grip the heart of the reader; drawing them into the perspective of the main female character named Miriam and the male lead Henry.  As I read the story, I became aware of how lifelike Amish communities can be, which is not as they are sometimes presented.  They are people who experience joy, pain, sorrow, laugh, cry and make choices as to Who is leading their life just as those who aren’t Amish do.
I was reminded of the price servicemen and women pay, and perhaps more so the families during WW II.  We are used to instant everything today and waiting seems like a major inconvenience and frustration.  Back in the 1940’s, the time between seeing a soldier off to war and hearing anything from them varied and when no word was received, that had to be one of the most heart wrenching experiences our past generation suffered!  So, perhaps as you read this fictional story you might be reminded as I was that the cost of the freedoms we enjoy or abuse today came at costs we may never really understand.
I cannot wait for the sequel to Promise to Return, which focuses on a different character from this first novel.  Just know that this is one author to read, follow and know that she is open to engaging with anyone who desires to know more about the Amish or her own life by contacting her at  www.elizabethbyleryounts.com or http://notquiteamishliving.com/
My rating is 5+ stars!
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts