Thrive



Title:  Thrive (Live Like You Matter)
Author:  Lisa Toney
Pages:  192
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Abingdon Press
Those who trust in their riches will fall,
    but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf. (Proverbs 11:28 NIV)
Above is the Scripture that this nonfictional book is founded on.  The author ministers to help others learn to “thrive” in relationships, with themselves and giving to others.  I must confess these types of books aren’t on my top 10 list at all, and I haven’t ever embraced the idea of a life coach.  It is also true I have no life experience with anyone who does this type of ministry, both within the church and without.  So I am coming to the book with a presumption, but let’s face facts…we all come to books with some type of expectation or preconceived idea.
No matter how you approach what this author has to share, try as I did to be open to hear what the Lord would speak as you read.  Trust me; He is faithful and He will say something.  Be aware that only one book is perfect from beginning to end and that is the Word of God, the Bible.  So, look for the nuggets of truth or words of encouragement that Lisa has taken time to share with readers.
Let me share one nugget of truth I was able to glean from the book on page 25, “Character with integrity is found when your yes has both a positive intent and a follow-through…Our yes is a window into our integrity.  Our verbal assent is our affirmation that something is going to happen on our end.”  Very simple yet quite profound when I meditated on it and looked at my life to see if I live by what I assent to. 
As you read the book, you might have moments like I did where I saw a difference in my life, not necessarily a good one, where it wasn’t a reflection of what I believed.  There was a challenge to let Christ change me, and there were other places encouraging to me in that I continue to be steadfast, firm and resolute on living the way Christ has led me.  At the end of each chapter are discussions questions.  If you aren’t in a group, consider using the question as a spur to journal your answers.  Perhaps the way you answer might lead you to write it as a prayer or have you looking for more words of wisdom from the Bible.  It is a great way to leave a written account for those who come behind us of how Christ is alive, works in and through us and wants to do that with anyone who is open to Him.
In the end, I was pleasantly surprised by this author’s writing, and while I might still not understand exactly what a life coach is or does, I am thankful that a fellow believer shared her experiences and wisdom.
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts