Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Christmas at Harmony Hill









Title:  Christmas at Harmony Hill (A Shaker Story)
Author:  Ann H. Gabhart
Pages:  208
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Revell
Ann H. Gabhart is an established as well as prolific writer whose stories cross a wide field of venues.  I enjoy the tales written for audiences to read and enjoy every time the opportunity presents itself.  Here is another short, but poignant, writing set near the end of the Civil War.  Woven into the story is a Shaker community.
I am not well versed on the beliefs of the Shaker community.  My first introduction was my husband’s aunt who lived across from a Shaker Museum in Kentucky many years ago.  What I can say is that some of what I know about their lives in that setting is presented with the love of Christ from the heart of the author. 
It is about being courageous enough to ask questions, or extend forgiveness to an offender whether sought by the offender or not.  A young woman named Heather works as a washer woman following her husband’s company from one camp to another until her husband begs her to go home until he joins her there.  The dangers of the battle aren’t what compels Gabriel to ask his wife Heather to go home, but the drawing near of their child’s birth.
When Heather eventually reaches home, it is to a totally different reality than her dreams.  From that moment on, readers will want to know what happens to Gabriel, how the Shaker community comes into the story and more.  As I sat and read this wonderful tale, I didn’t even notice the time passing.  All I wanted to know was what was coming next as I turned each page.
In the novel is a story of love, believing, hoping, expecting and moving forward as God leads the characters from one season in their lives to the next.  I absolutely loved the book!  Thanks Ann, this was a wonderful tale!
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment