Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Christmas Quilt





Title:  The Christmas Quilt
Author:  Vannetta Chapman
Pages:  256
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Abingdon
Quilts that are crafted by hand usually have some meaning behind the pattern presented.  One story I read about a quilt was that it was map of the underground railroad though not easily understand by those unfamiliar with the pattern.  Another novel I read told of the meaning behind the particular flower type square sewn so beautifully on top of an off white background.
Though not gifted to sew anything, through my Nana’s intricate cross-stitch and these tales created around a pattern quilt, I appreciate the beauty of such artisans.  In these pages, audiences will appreciate the various ways God speaks to us and causes us to grow in Christ likeness.  Here is a young couple expecting their first child when they learn they are having twins.  As the babies grow, it seems the further apart the parents are one from the other.  Through an experience that gives them pause to self-examination, the lessons they learn are for more than just this young married couple.
I wish to share so much more of the story with you, but it might affect what God may have for you to enjoy and glean from the pages.  While it is true that here is a work of fiction, it is also equally true it is centered on our individual walks with God and how it ripples beyond the boundaries of one or two people.   I can share that it was for me a moment to remember what God taught me at the birth of each of my sons, and what a treasured gift they are beyond just our immediate family.
One last thought about the tale was also being glad that I had the season of babies and now enjoy the season of them as grown men.  Each moment we have with each other and interactions outside the nuclear family we need to remember God is revealing Himself to us in some way.  Maybe God is speaking to us, teaching us, encouraging us and even exhorting us to mature.
The author tells a wonderful story of the special love God has for each of us, and the gift He has given to those who are married.  He also has a special gift for those who are single as well; all of us just need to lean upon the breast of the Savior and hear His heartbeat.  In those quiet moments of prayer or reading the Bible, we will come to understand who He created us to be and to do while we are here on earth. 
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment