Monday, December 23, 2013

Into the Free

Title:  Into the Free
Author:  Julie Cantrell
Pages:  368
Year:  2012
Publisher:  David C Cook
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org
As I was reading page after page, I kept ruminating about what the author was trying to convey in the tale.  When I came to the end, all the pieces fell into place for me, and I realized the message was veiled on purpose.  Sometimes when the end comes and the theme or message is unveiled that is also when the joy of having read the book can be realized.  Perhaps other readers catch on quicker to what the message was, but it took me till the end and I was astounded.
The story is told from the point of view of a young girl growing up in a less than idealistic home life.  Instead of being cared for, she ends up being the caretaker of her mother for most of her early years.  Inside her heart she is searching, but for what or whom Millie is not quite able to put her finger on it.  Through other background characters and life experiences she sees life as trying to make sense of what is seen from afar.
Years later in a year that totally changes her life, she dares to hope and dream of finding her deepest heart’s desire fulfilled.  The people she tries to trust and let them know her aren’t able to get any closer than what Millie determines is safest.  When Millie’s world is again rocked by an event that will forever be a part of her memories, she wonders if the future will be a mirror of either of her parents.
I don’t want to take away the joy of the journey in discovering the meaning or theme, so I’ll not write any more about the plot.  As you read, what speaks to you may not be what spoke to my heart and that is another reason for not revealing some other pieces of the book or characters.  What I can say is that it truly reflects one message we all need be reminded of…that no matter what happens to us this side of heaven we have choices.  We may not always know why we have had a particular tragedy or surprise come along, but really that isn’t where our eyes should stay fixed.  There is more going on around us that is unseen than seen.
When Mountains Move is the sequel to Into the Free, and I will review that novel soon too.  I can’t wait to see what continues to happen with Millie’s saga.  Into the Free is a special novel for me as it speaks to my heart about the path we are on this side of heaven, as well as the need for leaving behind us words that others can read that might just lead them to God.
My rating is 5 stars!
Note:  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457

Post a Comment