Friday, December 6, 2013

One Imperfect Christmas









Title:  One Imperfect Christmas
Author:  Myra Johnson
Pages:  274
Year:  2009
Publisher:  Abingdon
Traditions tend to run for many generations, often times morphing into something newer with each remembrance of how the tradition began.  For instance, in my husband’s family, we all would make side dishes except for the turkey to go along with his mother’s stuffing.  Now, with family in heaven, we still eat a turkey with stuffing and watch football just like way back in the day.  In this work of fiction, Myra Johnson paints a tradition built around Christmas. 
Natalie is a gifted graphic artist and painter; her mother is a very gifted painter as well.  With the 50th Christmas celebration of Natalie’s parents coming closer, some things are going to change.  Through the last year, a marriage has been rocky, a daughter has run away twice, and a possible job change for Natalie’s husband has occurred in the life of the family.  Driven with guilt, Natalie has pulled away from those closest to her and with her mother gravely ill facing reality is even harder. 
All the characters in the book are learning what really matters along with facing who they are and where their faith is during this season.  I liked how the author painted in the story the truth that sometimes when very heart-wrenching times come, everyone reacts or handles the emotions that come with the storms of life.  I liked how this novel portrayed more realistically how sometimes the holidays aren’t all Rockwell portraits.  There are those whose holidays are the hardest times of the year to live through and without Christ there can be no sense of hope or peace.
While reading this novel, I kept thinking how much I didn’t want to read it because this is another hard holiday season for my family and that of my friend.  Yet, those who know the Lord don’t mourn as those without hope.  Even during the darkest times, God does something that only He can do in our hearts and lives that gives us the strength to take the next step one day a time.  One Imperfect Christmas is a tear-jerker for sure, but also one that shows how brightly God shines in the darkest days we will know as we journey here on earth.
If you aren’t having a tough season right now, enjoy it, but remember to pray for those who are.  You may never know how your prayers can change the heart of those hurting, but rest assured God hears.
My rating is 4+ stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment