Traces of Mercy

Title:  Traces of Mercy
Author:  Michael Landon Jr. & Cindy Kelley
Pages:  352
Year:  2013
Publisher:  David C Cook
A story of this caliber is simply sterling!  History has a special place in my heart; learning about the past is always so seductive.  The book’s tale is set to take place right at the end of the Civil War when reconstruction is to begin in the hopes of binding the nation’s wounds as President Lincoln desired.  One aspect of the stories’ characters is how women would cut their hair very short, bind their chests and then wear a soldier’s uniform.  While Mercy was set free right before going to prison, the feelings many still felt at a high level began to express themselves in small groups fighting each other.
Mercy opens her eyes and can’t remember anything; the only thing she does feel is pain as she looks into the eyes of her physician.  What takes place after this point will keep you intent on quickly finishing this tale of romance, love and forgiveness plus more.  There are action scenes in the novel, but some of it happens within the mind and heart of the characters.  True motives begin to unravel and feelings long withheld are brought forth as the saga unfolds.
Holy smokes is this a suspense-filled enthralling fictional book!  I would think I have the next scene or the ending figured out only to become baffled at the turn of events.  I was unable to put it down as I was emotionally involved and wanted to see how the authors would end the story for now.  Yep, a sequel is due out the fall of 2014.  I sure wish I didn’t have to wait so long!
Other characters in the novel are nuns, a Union cavalry officer, and a very well known family who owns a railroad that is building out to the west.  Someone is found guilty of treason, but who and for what reason?  Does everyone believe somebody cannot remember anything about themselves, even their name?  The horses in the story are so will described that I could get a picture in my mind and want to hop up for a ride!
I have read many books this particular year and most were really exciting to read; this was no exception!  In fact, if readers don’t take time to read and perhaps share the novel with others, that would be a bummer because it is tense, exciting, and filled with suspense from the first word till the last.  Don’t miss Traces of Mercy.  I’m sure glad I didn’t!
My rating is 5+ stars!
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Post a Comment

Popular Posts