Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Whispers of Hope (10 Weeks Devotional Prayer)


Title: Whispers of Hope (10 Weeks Devotional Prayer)
Author:  Beth Moore
Pages:  232
Year:  2013
Publisher:  B & H Books
Do you have sit down to pray and find that within minutes your mind has wondered elsewhere?  I experience this as well and sometimes it gets so frustrating I just want to get up and get moving.  Or thinking there is so much to pray about or people to pray for you wonder where to start?  Like you I don’t want to bring a list to God and He doesn’t want you to either.  What the Lord wants is us, so we come to Him and with the help of The Holy Spirit we can pray, and without ceasing too!
Beth Moore’s devotional isn’t meant to be used as anything other than an introduction along with practical suggestions as to how we can learn to pray.  Pray using the Word, along with journaling just between the individual and the Lord.  I am sure we all have requests or burdens we don’t want others to see to come across so we might hesitate to write them out, that’s fine.  The main point is to spend time reading the Word, praying the Word and part of prayer is listening which is hard in a society that loves something on all the time.  Yet, to sit quietly before the Lord has been one of the most treasured times I have learned to develop.  Beth Moore even tells people in the introduction to “individualize” what she presents in the devotional.  In other words, go with how the Spirit leads you, if you want to follow step by step what is in the book that is fine.  The whole purpose is to teach us, equip us to communicate with the Father.
When I would read her thoughts about a Scripture section, it would stir up within me reminders of something or person I need to pray for or praise Him for answering my requests.  I have found the more we relinquish ourselves into His hands, our burdens, thoughts, longings, desires and more, I can then hear him better.  If I let go and give it to Him, it is a reminder to me that I trust Him and not myself to bring about a desired result.  There is no special format you have to use, though Beth includes one she uses in her time with the Lord.
The one commitment is to make time to read the Word, and then learn how to pray the Word.  These two go together, all any of us has to do is read the Gospels to observe Jesus doing both.  Which Is a reminder to me that if Jesus felt the need to read the Word and then be alone communing with the Father, how much more do I need to do so?  So grab your Bible, a notebook and the devotional go and enjoy the time you are invited to have with the God of heaven and earth!
My rating is 4 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Post a Comment