Butterfly Palace



Title:  Butterfly Palace
Author:  Colleen Coble
Pages:  314
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
Drew Hawkes works for the Secret Service, but he is keeping some secrets of his own.  He is on the trail of the man he believes murdered his father and has been tracking him ever since he left Larson, Texas four years ago.  Drew left behind his fiancée without a word to track this criminal and never contacted her again.  He has convinced himself he did this for her own good as he wouldn’t be able to keep her safe and he wasn’t worthy of her love.  Drew is stunned when he sees Lily walk through the door.  He immediately tries to disappear again, but to no avail.
Lily Donaldson has just buried her mother and now must find a way to support herself.  Her father had been killed with Drew’s father four years ago.  She takes a job at a wealthy senator’s home as a maid.  Who should she run into her first day, but Drew.  What is he doing there she wonders?  Does he really have feelings for Belle, the senator’s niece?  Lily and Drew talk and he tells her what he is doing at Butterfly Palace and soon she is helping him in his investigation.
I didn’t really like this book.  The characters fell flat, the boundaries between social classes were crossed, which I felt wasn’t realistic, and the dialogue was disjointed or in some cases didn’t make sense.  I just couldn’t relate to the characters well.  I did like the twist at the end of the story regarding the guilty people, who had been committing many crimes.  That is the only reason I rated this book as a 2.  I have read other books by this author and enjoyed them, so I’m not throwing in the towel on reading her books.  Every once in a while there just is a book that is just not up to par, and this is one of those books.  I cannot recommend this one.
My rating is 2 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts