Thursday, February 13, 2014

Poisin Town



Title:  Poison Town a Novel (The Crittendon Files Book #2)
Author:  Creston Mapes
Pages:  368
Year:  2014
Publisher:  David C. Cook
When I first started reading the novel, I wasn’t quite sure how the engaging plot slowly morphed into something entertaining nor was I prepared for the many twists and turns brought about through suspense.   The major male protagonist is Jack Crittendon who is a journalist first introduced in Fear has a Name, now he about to unknowingly become involved in a major life threatening situation.
l started slowly for me because there didn’t seem to be a growing climax or danger or an enemy Jack has to outwit.  How wrong I was because when I got to one point in the story, all of a sudden…wham!  The suspense kicks into to high gear, making my heart race.  Jack is unknowingly walking into what might turn out to be a mammoth story concerning a manufacturing plant and release of toxins.  As Jack tries to pursue what he feels is a Goliath and David story, his editor keeps shutting down all his attempts to bring the truth to light.
Now Jack along with a fellow reporter dig around for the truth.  No one, not even Jack’s family, is safe from a monster that will go to any lengths to save his company.  I couldn’t put the novel down when the action kicked into high gear along with the antagonist from the first book appearing in this book.  Yet, something about the antagonist is different, and Jack’s wife has been learning to trust God instead of allowing fear to rule her life.
Sometimes as I was reading I thought the plot would reveal who all the enemies were, but like peeling an orange the author slowly shows readers who is involved in the plot.  With a touch of danger, bombs exploding and car chases during winter storms, the heart-pumping action doesn’t stop until the very last page.  Above all, Jack is confronted with the condition of his heart and he must decide how he is going to be reconciled to God with whom he once had a close relationship.  I couldn’t tell if the author was putting before the audience the idea of being legally armed is or isn’t a reflection of a person’s faith and trust in God.  What I can tell you is I am looking forward to his next novel coming out and plan on reading the book.  Until then, read both Fear has a Name then the next in the series Poison Town, both great tales that will keep you reading until the wee hours of the night!
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment