When Courage Calls

Title:  Where Courage Calls
Author:  Janette Oke & Laurel Oke Logan
Pages:  336
Year:  2104
Publisher:  Bethany
This is a romance, adventure and faith-filled tale filled with scenes of danger, times of loneliness wrapped up in each character learning about life, love and how much God provides for them.  Long ago, after graduating college and being employed, one of the joys I looked forward to was reading purely for the sake of reading.  I was grateful to be done with memorizing facts, taking tests or writing papers, though learning the Word is a lifelong pursuit for me.  So one night I was in a local library looking for something to enjoy and I came across Janette Oke and her Love Comes Softly series.
Now, decades later, I once again discovered the latest writing of Janette Oke along with her daughter Laurel Oke Logan in Where Courage Calls.  Within the book is a story of a young woman who believes she is answering God’s call to go West and teach children in a mining town all by herself.  Though her parents are believers one can sense the turmoil within their hearts of letting their daughter spread her wings in the frontier instead of just settling down near them.
Throughout the novel I felt compelled to just picture the scenes in my mind that the printed words painted.  The time of the story takes place when women were expected to marry and not go to college or leave the nest before setting up their own homes with their husbands.  The people Beth meets in the coal town are uniquely different than those Beth left behind.  Yet, throughout the story Beth is learning what really matters and Who really matters most.
I loved the interactions between the various characters, most of all the praying that Beth does as God is smoothing the rough edges off her character.  In looking at the poor within the small community, Beth draws conclusions then acts accordingly, and through these experiences her faith is expanded and challenged.  It isn’t hard to understand why Janette Oak is such an inspiring author; I have to believe it flows from her own relationship with the Lord.  Where Courage Calls, I believe, has reminders for those living today about faith, love, hope, compassion and more.  I sure hope readers pick up more than one copy to share with family, friends and anyone the Lord leads them to.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457

Post a Comment

Popular Posts