Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Vow Unbroken

Title:  Vow Unbroken
Author:  Caryl McAdoo
Pages:  368
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Howard Books
Sue was a young impetuous girl who ran away to marry the young man she loved without the blessing of her father.  Hardly married a year, she lost her husband in an accident, unknowingly pregnant and facing an unknown future.  As a result, Sue makes a vow to never marry again without her father’s blessing.  The reason behind making the vow readers will learn about in the pages of the book.
Though widowed for four years, Sue now decides that instead of selling her cotton to a man who proved himself a liar and thief, she believes herself capable of traveling a hundred miles to sell for higher profit elsewhere.  Heeding wise counsel, she recruits a worker to go along with her that being Rebecca, her 9-year-old daughter and her nephew Levi.
Throughout the story, the main characters of Sue, Rebecca and Levi along with Henry, the man she hires, encounter danger, romance, and many challenges on the route that bring Sue to a new place of understanding what the Lord desires to change in her heart.  While some of the hardships humble Sue, it is encouraging to see the female character examine her thoughts, words and actions toward others. 
Sue’s main focus, other than receiving her father’s blessing for an upcoming marriage, is that she not be unequally yoked.  The hardest part is waiting for the Lord’s timing, along with the right words and ways to share the gospel message with the man she loves so deeply.  As I continued reading the book, I fell more in love with the development of the characters, seeing their faults, confessing sins as well as asking forgiveness.
While it is a fictional piece, I was reflecting how much Sue’s greatest desire was to focus on keeping the Lord always before her.  Her spontaneous prayers and supplications reminded me that we all can bring our hearts before the Lord any time.  I was also reminded that knowing the word and living out the word can be two totally different things.  Our flesh and spirit are always in battle against each other, which is reflected in what Paul writes in his letters regarding the same battle.
I loved this novel a bunch.  The gospel message was always a part of the story.  It was as natural to the tale as breathing is to mankind.  I sure hope the audience reads, enjoys and shares this novel from a new author.  Personally, I hope to see more from this author soon.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment