Monday, April 14, 2014

A Jane Austen Encounter by Donna Fletcher Crow

Title:  A Jane Austen Encounter (Elizabeth and Richard Mystery #3)
Author:  Donna Fletcher Crow
Pages:  243
Year:  2013
Publisher:  StoneHouse Ink
This book was written with the Jane Austen fan in mind.  There are lots of quotes from and references to many of Jane Austen’s more well-known works.  If you are not a Jane Austen fan, then your reading experience and enjoyment of the tale will be limited.  You will still enjoy this British mystery, but won’t experience it as completely as the Janeite would.
Richard and Elizabeth are both Jane Austen experts and are on a second honeymoon, touring Jane Austen sites in England.  Elizabeth has just retired as head of the English Department and Richard has taken a sabbatical to write a paper on something new about Jane Austen, a daunting task as so much has been written about her already.  Soon after their tour starts, an employee of a Jane Austen museum discovers a previously unknown letter stating that there might be papers detailing how Jane would have completed a novel she had left uncompleted.  Richard wants those papers and is spurred on by his tour guide.  As the search and tour continue, other strange things occur.  Will they find the papers before someone is seriously hurt?  Where could these papers be?  Are they worth killing for?
Donna’s rich descriptions will make readers feel as if they have been transported to the time and place in which Jane Austen lived and wrote.  I love that about all of her books.  I am not a Jane Austen fan, so all the quotes and character comparisons and so forth were lost on me.  Not to say I’m a detractor either; I just don’t know very much about her.  However, I still very much enjoyed the trip through the English countryside, the sites seen and the search for clues.  It is obvious a tremendous amount of time and research was put forth to gather all the quotes and such and place them within the story at just the right time.  Another thing that is always present in Donna’s books and makes them entertaining and educational is her dedication to accurate and thorough research.  I always learn something when I read her books.  I also liked how Donna brought forth the spiritual side of Jane and how it enhanced her work.  I look forward to more books in this series.
My rating is 4 stars.

Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment