Heaven is for Real

Title:  Heaven is for Real (Special Movie Edition)
Author:  Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent
Pages:  240
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
Anytime a book comes out with a title such as this, I am cautious and in some ways skeptical.  In thinking about why, I realized how there is so much we don’t really know about God or heaven along with the fact of how easily people can cling to a person’s experience instead of looking to God through the Bible.
One of the major benefits I got from reading the book is that Todd references the areas of Scripture that the Spirit brought to his mind when Colton would share what he saw in heaven.  If something aligns with the Word of God that ends any and all debate.  While some of what I read was simply mind boggling, because we are finite limited beings, some things of God should at times be beyond our understanding.  You see God hasn’t revealed everything to us or to the Burpo family.  What He has done more than anything is strengthened the faith of many through this experience.  For others it answered the skeptic’s questions or doubts, bringing them to a place where they “know” now without a doubt that God is real.
Another aspect of the book is the raw emotion and pain the family suffered during Colton’s surgery with the parents going to be alone with the Lord to pray.  Sometimes we have to again be reminded that our faith is built through trials as James wrote in the New Testament:
Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. (James 1:2-4 NIV)
I would recommend reading this testimony carefully, considering the Scriptures highlighted.  For me, the point of the book is the focus of the reality of God along with the truth of the Scriptures.  Many have been impacted by this family’s ordeal and Colton’s experience; I believe more hearts will be too.
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Post a Comment

Popular Posts