The Devil Walks in Mattingly

Title:  The Devil Walks in Mattingly
Author:  Billy Coffey
Pages:  400
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
The author writes a gripping, mysterious and veiled story that kept me reading and pondering for days.  Before I began the book, I read the back cover which helps set the stage for what the contents are as well as learning in the Publishers Note that the events in this book happen four years before When Mockingbirds Sing.  While each story written by Billy Coffey can be read in any order, I was glad to have known before starting When Mockingbirds Sing that in the tale’s timeframe these events came first.  Soon I will read When Mockingbirds Sing, which I wanted to read because of the interest the title aroused in me as it reminded me of a classic book, To Kill A Mockingbird, which I read in high school.  Please note the stories aren’t related.
In The Devil Walks in Mattingly, there was a sense of discovery just waiting for me as I opened the book to begin.  I wondered if the writing would be similar to Ted Dekker’s books which never cease to amaze me.  Well, let me say I wasn’t disappointed in reading Billy Coffey’s book at all!  It is uniquely written with a tale wrapped in mystery and an ending with a revelation that stays with the reader long after the book is closed.
The Devil Walks in Mattingly stirs within the soul of the audience the belief in God’s grace, which can bring freedom to the soul or unbelief and attempts to bring about one’s own salvation.  Craftily written within the fabric of the characters are the various ways man believes will rid him of guilt.  As people read the book, they will be able to identify either with particular characters or traits or behaviors they exhibit.  Totally a must read by this author!  It wasn’t one I could easily fly through; it is a novel that took me time to read.  I cannot wait to begin When Mockingbirds Sing as I am sure it is thought-provoking, engaging and has a spiritual truth embedded within as well.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Post a Comment

Popular Posts