Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn by Lori Benton



Title:  The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn
Author:  Lori Benton
Pages:  400
Year:  2014
Publisher:  WaterBrook Press
Lori Benton’s love of writing tales with her level of research leaves readers breathless and amazed.  I first come across Lori Benton when her first novel was published last year.  Burning Sky was in my hands and I lost myself in the story set in the mid to late 1800s.  When people spend time enjoying the tale of a woman trying to find her way after witnessing her mother’s death and a man who comes to rescue her from a fate Tamsen fears is worse than death, the plot is set to keep pages turning for many hours.
Before her mother passes she places a secret withheld from Tamsen for many years.  The man rescuing her has a secret in his past as well, but doesn’t know how to fill the gaps in his memories.  Now the adventure begins as her step-father is out to bring her back for what appears to be his own greedy gains and he employs some men who are as crafty and shady as he to do the job.
The wisdom the local area preacher shared with Tamsen and her friend Jesse, who rescued her, she is given time to grieve and figure out what choices are before her.  Tamsen has to learn even the most basic of skills like cooking, having grown up with slaves to care for her every desire or the command of her step-father.  All Tamsen can see now is emptiness and experiences moments of danger to which she recalls Scripture to comfort her hurting soul.
There is romance, danger, greed, faith, action, along with other themes to weave together a brilliantly written story.  I loved how the ending took me totally by surprise.  It was amazing to see how the writer hid the ending so well throughout the book.  The growth or renewal of individual faith in the tale reflects bright against the life the characters lived.  I cannot imagine living so far from neighbors or the constant attention needed to make sure necessities were in stock.
Lori Benton has woven together another spell-binding novel, rich with history and characters I couldn’t help being intrigued and captured with interest. I didn’t know the historical time Lori shares in her second book or the events that happened long ago in an eastern coastal area.  I admire the lengths to which the writer took to know the history and occurrences that I suspect many may not know.  I hope you grab a copy of both Lori Benton’s novels, especially if you enjoy this time frame.  Even if you don’t, you will really enjoy the tale!
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment