Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Fairplay by Deeann Gist



Title:  Fair Play
Author:  Deeanne Gist
Pages:  464
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Howard
I suspect that works of fiction cause one and all to consider reading it for many reasons.  For this novel, it was due to one character being a Texas Ranger.  The other would be the setting, Chicago in the late 1800s along with the rich historical flavor to the tale.  When I first started reading, the novel caused me to chuckle at the start and at other times throughout until the last page.  There were in the late 1800s many hot topics just as we who live today talk, read and think about what our times place before us.
For me, this was my introduction to the writing of Deeanne Gist, and I am so glad to have made time to read a wonderful tale with a plethora of themes.  The main one which struck me was sacrificial love as exhibited by the main characters, Dr. Billy and Hunter, but also some of the background players as well.  To love another whether through the bonds of matrimony, family or friendship requires sacrifice of some sort and while definitely not easy it is always worth it.
As the author shows us how children were treated, lived, died, were cared for or not moved my heart.  Children are such a precious gift whether one is given to a couple through marriage or by adoption matters not to me.  To have read the jail scenes and imagine how persons could allow such deplorable conditions to occur is tough, though I am sure some helped work to change the living environment. 
The romance that blossoms between Billy and Hunter I thought was a moving portrait of the depth and length a man and woman go through to work out their differences while having eyes only for each other.  I have to admit I never much contemplated how men might have felt as women entered careers that until that time were for men only in addition to how that affected the relationship between courting couples who were planning their future.
Lastly, I was brought up short on the thought of a time without playgrounds, equipment and benches for people to spend time with others in conversation.  Sometimes we all forget that life around us is not always as we see it nor is it likely to remain constant.  Many a time I took my sons to the playground and watched them go all over the place and meet new friends to play with and chase after.  There is more to the novel than I am sharing, so grab a soda, plop down and enjoy the story!
My rating is 5 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment