Thursday, May 8, 2014

Out of the Depths: An Unforgettable Story of WW 2 of Survival, Courage, and the Sinking of the USS Indianapolis



Title:  Out of the Depths (An Unforgettable WW II Story of Survival, Courage and the Sinking of the USS Indianapolis)
Author:  Edgar Harrell USMC
Pages:  192
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Bethany
My first introduction to the true story and the men of the USS Indianapolis was when the dedication of the monument here in Indiana became a reality.  I learned so many interesting things as I read about the moment in time when lives were irrevocably changed forever.  The horror some of these men endured when in the Pacific Ocean for five days in shark infested waters.
I so appreciate the courage I am sure it took for Edgar Harrell USMC to share his story not just with his family but now in print form for readers of all ages.  Thanks to Bethany for publishing his story which I will not forget soon.  I hope many people don’t just read this book, but also share it with others or buy copies to give away.  The encouragement this man received from the Lord, the strength to endure such painful memories along with the injuries he sustained is a testimony to God’s glory.  Edgar wrote this book with his son David not to bring focus to himself but for the glory of God.  While not escaping the horrors of those five days plus the amount of time it took to heal and still giving glory to God reminds me of the great cloud of witnesses referred to in the book of Hebrews.
I loved reading the whole story even the raw facts though I am sure the authors left a lot unspoken.  To write with such authenticity and transparency brings readers a reminder of the cost of the freedoms we enjoy.  To learn the history of our Navy and how they acted at this moment in time was sad to read and at times almost unbelievable.  Yet, when a young man took time to research and cleared the Captain’s name was extraordinary.  Even though by the time his name was cleared the Captain had passed, I think it still helped the survivors along with family members.
Scriptures that were included in the book were ones that give testimony to God and how He holds us and cares for us in such hard times.  I take a lot of comfort in the fact that Scripture helped to heal some of these author’s wounds and helped him to be able to go to many places to share the story of the USS Indianapolis and his life afterwards.  The pictures helped a lot too because it connected faces and names, making it more powerful when reading.  I loved how the author got to hug a very special little young lady, but I won’t say more on this as it would spoil the moment for readers.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough, nor thank the author and Bethany for sharing with the world an amazing historical event that is not just a moment in time, but how it still impacts lives today!  The book, Out of the Depths, will definitely be in my personal library and read by my sons who are history buffs themselves.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment