Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Rise & Shine...excellent story!


Title:  Rise & Shine (A Contemporary fairy Tale)
Author:  Sandra B. Bricker
Pages:  288
Year:  2014
Publisher:  River North Fiction
Don’t let the cover image discourage you from reading this story.  I didn’t think I would enjoy the book, but I was wrong.  I think a different cover would be a good idea to draw other readers to this author’s wonderful way of telling a tale that will touch many hearts.
In this book, the main female character named Shannon is recently married and on her honeymoon when the next thing she knows it is ten years later.  The story winds and weaves together Shannon’s past that she is unaware of with what looks like her future.  The novel is a very deeply touching one that belies the cover of the book; there is more than meets the eye or the heart.  Shannon has to discover what happened during her ten-year coma and what is happening in the world now.  Shannon begins to realize over time that she isn’t the same person, but just who she is sets her feet on a path of adventure and possible romance.
The story centers on Shannon.  Even with the occasional reference to a children’s fairy tale book, I was so engrossed in Shannon’s story nothing else mattered.  The tragedy and its unknown future impact on her faith, with Shannon running the full gambit of emotions, seemed very realistic.  When her main doctor decides to serve oversees in Sudan for three months, it is interesting to see how Shannon reacted.  I love how the antagonist in the novel, her former sister-in-law, experiences such an act of grace instead of the anger and retaliation Millicent hands out.
There were times I laughed and times I wondered how the characters were going to handle various interactions.  This was the first book I have read by the author, and I do recommend reading it because of the level of commitment Shannon has with the Lord and had with her husband.  I also liked the view into past TV shows and technology in the sixties leaping into today and how that might affect a person who wasn’t raised with the latest gadgets.
Above all is the way that some of the characters lived out their faith, praying, reading the Word, and looking to Him as to how to handle situations as they arise.  The whole story is centered on walking through the various seasons of life with the Lord.  I cannot image my life without Him.
By the way, I loved the title as it reminded me of when I was a little girl living at home.  My siblings and I were always awakened during the school days by my father who would turn on the ceiling light and shout, “Rise and Shine!” My brothers for a while begged my mom to have Dad quit doing that, but it didn’t happen J
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment