Scarlett Says



Title:  Scarlett Says
Author:  Julie L. Cannon
Pages:  304
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Abingdon Press
I never know what to expect from authors based on the title or even the cover of a book, but that makes the joy of discovering the story all the more fun.  In the book, a young woman named Joan in the throes of her teenage years read Gone with the Wind by Margret Mitchell, and Joan wants to be like the character Scarlett.  Joan starts a blog totally committed to anything and everything related to the novel Gone with the Wind.  Her posts discuss themes, characters and more from the novel.
Joan is afraid of the real world; she prefers anonymity and the world of the internet because she sees it as safe.  Joan, in time, with the help of a therapist overcomes her phobia enough to enter the working world where she meets a man nicknamed Siggy, who befriends her along with giving her words of wisdom.  His friendship helps Joan in many ways as readers will discover in the tale, as well as learn about Margret Mitchell’s real life history.
At first, I wasn’t quite sure where the novel was going, but the deeper I got into the pages the more I felt pulled into the characters’ lives.  I remember reading Gone with the Wind in high school and having to write a report on the book.  A few years back I watched the movie again, amazed at my change in perspective that came with growing up.  The novel touches on themes like real relationships compared to internet or virtual ones, slavery, the Civil War and many topics Gone with the Wind reveals.  There is also a lot of banter the online community has on the Scarlett Says blog that Joan writes, written very well by Julie L. Cannon.  I liked how the friendship between Joan and the janitor developed into a true friendship that in many ways challenges Joan’s perspective and lifestyle.
It is pretty amazing that some of the themes revealed in Gone with the Wind and this novel are subjects still discussed in our day.  Faith in God or the questions that come when life is different than expected, add the emotions the character Joan displays toward God when she is confronted with overcoming her past make for interesting reading.  I hope you take time to enjoy the book and consider revisiting some of the history of Margret Mitchell and her novel Gone with the Wind.
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts