Tested by Fire

Title:  Tested by Fire (Will What You Build Survive?)
Author:  Kelley Latta             http://kelleylattaministries.com/
Pages:  128
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Kelley Latta Ministries
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from the author via www.bookfun.org
The first thing I do when viewing a study is to learn what I can about the author.  Why?  Well, for me, if that author is seeking the Lord and really digging in to the Word, it resonates with my heart.  No one teacher always gets it right because after all we are all human and only God is perfect all the time.  When I was reading about Kelly, I came across the following statement on page 4:  “Compelled into the Word to discover Truth for herself, she encountered Jesus though the pages...”  So now she has my attention because she was “compelled to dig”.  I pray she is still that way as well as encouraging others to as well.
Second, I went to her website and read some of her blog posts.  You can learn a lot about people or at the very least get a sense of who they are when you read their writings.  She seems very transparent and desires to be an encouragement to others by showing examples of those in Bible times who lived in faith.  The Word of God is His Word.  He left all human failings in the pages; He left what they did obediently too.
Third, I looked through the study guide before going any further.  What was I looking for as I was reading?  I wanted to see the content.  There are four weeks of study presented and spaces to write not just answers to questions, but also to answers to challenging questions with which she ends her lessons.  I like when a study is direct, doesn’t have people going all over the Word but staying in a place to glean the truth for themselves.
Finally, like any study there are things some of you may really like and perhaps some things you don’t, but that is as it should be.  Always ask God for discernment when reading what someone has put forth in a study guide and search out in His Word any questions that are prompted in your heart.  The whole idea of a study like this is to have a starting place, not the end all.  Read the Scriptures in context Kelley refers to by reading verses above and below what is quoted.  What matters is not what any human author says, but what He says!
My rating is 4 stars.

Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts