I Shall Be Near You

Title:  I Shall Be Near to You
Author:  Erin Lindsay McCabe
Pages:  320
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Crown
I think history is a very interesting topic to discuss or read about in various genres.  I love to read historical fiction that is based on a real person, journals left behind or events.  What Erin has written is based on a real woman who decided to join her husband in the Union Army while pretending to be a man.  She cut her hair, took her husband’s clothes and altered the clothes to loosely fit to her height.
I admire the courage of woman who braved the cruel reality of being a soldier for many various reasons other than to be near a loved one.  The characteristic of bravery plus knowing real women did join the fight as soldiers drew me to the book.  However, the farther along I got in the tale; different aspects in the book disappointed me.  First is the use of foul language.  While a word here or there doesn’t bother me, it became much too frequent to the point where it distracted my ability to read or enjoy the story.  Second is the lack of action at the beginning of the book.  It took a very slow start with the main female character having flashbacks to her childhood.  After awhile it just was hard to follow the train of the character’s thoughts or perspective.
One positive about the story is the beauty and modesty regarding the consummation of the marriage.  It was nice to see it portrayed without the use of describing the act.  I wish I could recommend the book, but due to the foul language in abundance I just cannot.
My rating is 2 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Post a Comment

Popular Posts