Miracle in Dry Season


Title:  Miracle in a Dry Season
Author:  Sarah Loudin Thomas
Pages:  304
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Bethany
For me, the novel was hard to get caught up in at first, partly because I like to try and figure out where the author is leading a reader, especially a new author.  Part of the reason it seemed to take awhile for me to get lost in the story was having just buried my father earlier in the week.  Once I got further into the tale, it took hold of my heart and I stayed up all night reading till I finished the whole book.
The tale reminded me of many biblical teachings such as a prophet is told to marry a harlot to show Israel in a real way what God was working in the hearts of His people.  Later on in the book, I saw themes of complete forgiveness, discerning the real intentions of a person, and reconciliation.  Perla is a woman who sinned and as a result had a child out of wedlock.  Because the gossip was so hard on her family, she moved in with her aunt and uncle in another town to start fresh.  However, as time goes by it seems the judgment of people along with gossip is ruining any opportunity Perla has to serve and live in the town.
Caswell is a single man living in the town when Perla moves in the house with her relatives.  He hears the gossip and finds himself failing to withhold judgment.  Caswell and his father have a strained relationship, but both love woodworking and seeing the beauty of a finished product.  As Caswell seeks the Lord for direction through prayer, it seems to him as though the Lord is silent.  As the town is on the verge of starvation due to a prolonged drought, the same drought seems to be what is happening to people’s spiritual life.  What will it take for rain to fall from the skies to refresh their crops?  What is the answer to refreshing their parched souls?
Readers will get caught up in the activity such as the panting of the town’s souls for God, relationships that need reconciliation along with hearts that need mending.  Characters seem like ordinary everyday people, searching for the strength and reason to keep putting one foot in front of the other even when the temptation to quit is pulling the people of the town apart.  Please don’t miss reading a novel that will challenge your views, grab your heart and turning pages long after the sun goes down.
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts