The Sign Painter

Title:  The Sign Painter
Author:  Davis Bunn
Pages:  256
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Howard
Boy, how can I describe a story that defies description?  Davis Bunn writes a tale that involves many themes such as homelessness, compassion, faith, judgment of others, and more.  Inside the book we learn about a woman named Amy who is a single mom of a little girl since her husband died a couple of years prior.  Due to her having no insurance, she lost her possessions and was driving around in a camper, working wherever she could find a job in order to provide the most basic of needs.
Now, Amy finds herself at a local church with little pocket change and needing to feed herself and her daughter before she goes for a job interview.  From this point on, the story will leave you breathless and captivated until the very end!  The interactions among church members at one meeting seemed very real to me, and it broke my heart.  The fight against gangs, drugs while trying to live in a peaceful community without the concern of children being used for drug carriers is like reading headlines from current newspapers.
Overall, I think the tale is well-written, entertaining, as well as captivating.  The fight against evil is shown to be both a spiritual one and a physical one.  When I got near the end, I was surprised as I thought I had figured out who the antagonist was earlier in the pages.  All I can say is this is a thought-provoking book.  The everyday problems it presents and the Body of Christ’s response or perhaps lack thereof is something to really be considered by all.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts