Thursday, September 11, 2014

Evergreen by Susan May Warren

Title:  Evergreen (A Christiansen Winter Novella)
Author:  Susan May Warren
Pages:  208
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Tyndale
Each insightful tale allows readers to glean truths from the lessons the fictional Christiansen family is learning or has learned.  Here the audience gets a chance to read about the parents of the six adult children, John and Ingrid.  From the outside everything looks like their lives are rosy and wonderful; few know what pain lies hidden within the heart.  In fact, as I read the novella, it reminded me again that at times we aren’t even aware of the pain within our own hearts, no matter how many years later an issue might resurface though thought to have been dealt with and done.
I love how the author doesn’t allow readers to think that Christian marriages are without pain, mistakes, poor choices and work.  Yes, no matter how many years people have been married it takes work, prayerful obedience to the Lord and forgiveness, lots of forgiveness.  Like the characters, we aren’t born with all-knowing parents nor do we become all-knowing parents, grandparents or people at any time.  I love how the family painfully had to reveal truth and then allow the Lord to heal their hearts not magically or instantly but in time.
Finally, I love how the author through her characters shows us that some good-byes allow us to also say hello to new beginnings.  John and Ingrid became empty nesters and each held a different outlook on how that played into the coming days, especially the holidays.  Pick up the novella and enjoy the heartwarming tale filled with love, hope and forgiveness!
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment