Home to Chicory Lane By Deborah Raney

Title:  Home to Chicory Lane (Book #1: A Chicory Inn Novel)
Author:  Deborah Raney
Pages:  272
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Abingdon
Deborah Raney shares with readers a take about a couple who are empty nesters; their five children are grown and a couple of the families with children of their own.  Audrey and Grant decide to turn their home into an inn not just as an investment for their later years, but also to fulfill Audrey’s lifelong dream that she hadn’t been able to fill with a large family of her own to raise.
Audrey and Grant have three girls and two sons, each have an individual story and a thread of connection as close siblings growing up in what has become a local bed & breakfast.  Deborah introduces us to what their children’s adult lives are like at the beginning of the novel; however, this first book centers mainly on Landry as a young newlywed and her husband Chase.  Readers will follow the adventure of this very young couple, watching them make mistakes, learn how to be faithful to the Lord and interacting in various scenes in the book.
I loved how realistic or lifelike the characters are and how they are created to appear, plus the aspect of learning to lean or depend on God.  The parents, Audrey and Grant, were like real parents who love with all their hearts each person in the family even with some of the mistakes they make as a couple.  One of the siblings is already in heaven and the family continues to open their hearts to his widow and children.  Chase has a newer faith and is learning how to be a man of God along with seeking his wife’s counsel before making decisions. 
I shake my head at how real the whole story felt as I read.  The fact the characters have flaws and not perfect made the tale easier to picture in my imagination.  So impressed letting readers see how each couple expresses love, faith, and how important family time is by not letting the inn business or any other activity take away that special family time around the dinner table at least one time a week.  During various intersections of the story, I felt as if I was remembering my own upbringing and the family celebrations we had over the years with good memories.
Don’t miss Home to Chicory Lane because the story is just beginning!
My rating is 5 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts