Miranda Warning



Title:  Miranda Warning (A Murder in the Mountains Novel #1)
Author:  Heather Day Gilbert
Pages:  364
Year:  2014
Publisher:  CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from the author via www.bookfun.org
Wow!  I cannot wait until the author publishes her next novel, Trial by Twelve, because this novel was absolutely superb!  The way the author wove the tendrils of the novel together kept me glued to the book for hours.  Just when I would think I was coming close to solving this mystery, the author threw out another tidbit and just like that I was reading further to figure out the mystery again.  The story is more than a mystery as it has tense-filled moments, suspense, action, compassion and more!
Tess is a young woman who had a rough childhood when she met Miranda who loved on her along with nurturing her like a mother.  When time passes and Miranda is in a fancy assisted care facility, Tess makes sure to visit quite often as she seeks to give back to the one woman who loved her and gave her so much.  Long before Tess came to live in the area a woman named Rose was married to Paul, now Paul wants to marry Miranda.  Tess has her reservations as she learns more about Rose, Paul and others along with reading the journal left by Rose so many years ago.
The mystery is how a woman who committed suicide years ago is now back in town, tracking down another woman by following Tess all over.  Thomas, Tess’s husband, is a young lawyer and a loving husband.  At times, I cracked up at the husband and wife interactions, and I hope you do too.  Miranda was Thomas’ Sunday School teacher decades ago and she still loves on him as if he were her son and loves on Tess like another daughter.
Audiences will love how the author uses flashback to set up Rose’s history as seen through her eyes.  Then readers are brought to the present some forty years later to see where some of the characters are now.  There is more that drew me back to the book than the mystery.  The themes of love, family, faith, and understanding of others that can come with time kept me engrossed in the tale.  Heather Day Gilbert is a woman who writes heart and soul into her characters.  The way they are written makes them seem more than mere fictional characters.  It is that type of writing that drew me into the pages until the very end.  Well done and I cannot wait to read the next installment!
My rating is 5+ stars.

Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts