My Breaking Point, God's Turning Point

Title: My Breaking Point, God’s Turning Point (Experiencing God’s Amazing Power to Restore)
Author: Ricky Texada
Pages:  208
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Bethany
As I read the book I kept a highlighter and pencil close by so I could write my thoughts before they escaped my mind.  When reading books that are sharing their testimony along with advice, I try to read it discerningly and hopefully without judgment.  In my walk with the Lord our family has been members of various members’ denominational churches.  So when the author began sharing what he experienced both before his first wife was killed by a drunk driver, my heart was touched by both the way people came to surround him and the Lord spoke.
My Breaking Point, God’s Turning Point is for anyone who has experienced any and all types of losses.  At the end of each chapter what is helpful for people wanting hope and restoration is a section for readers to journal answers to questions and a brief prayer.  The author encourages journaling to help as any of us journey from loss to restoration no matter what type of loss.  As humans we tend to hierarchy life’s events but please remember whatever happened to you and your walk with Lord is what matters.
The author doesn’t come across in his writing as a know it all, he shares his experiences along with what helped him in his walk with the Lord.  Some of the experiences he shares do seem a little bit out of the box for me.  However, I realize that when we experience God in a unique way it He doesn’t fit into our box and that is cool.  As you read this book, read discerningly and remember that this is the author’s experience this is not a step by step how to book and that is great.
The one part of the book that bothered me was the lack of leading people to the Bible.  The main point in seeking restoration after a painful experience is that looking to the Lord is essential.  It also takes the church being the church without time restraints or expectations to help each other. The hardest part of the author shares in becoming restored is letting go of our expectations of ourselves and others.  I appreciate the transparency it took for Rick to share what happened to him and how it affected others. 
M rating is 3 stars
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts